It is that time of the year again. We will be holding another WordPress Plugin Competition. The Plugin Competitions held in the past years have generated a tremendous amount of interest in WordPress and our entrants have come up with fantastic plugins such as WP Comment Remix, Manageable, Who Sees Ads and of course OneClick in addition to hundreds of others that were voted upon by readers like you. We have distributed thousands of dollars in prizes, helped popularize hundreds of plugins and have even prompted the adoption of various peices of code into the WordPress core. With WordPress 2.8 around the bend and the Google Summer of Code, I have very high hopes for this year. Here are some links for those that have not yet participated or looked into our past WordPress Plugin Competitions:
- WordPress Plugin Competition 2008 Winners
- WordPress Plugin Competition 2007 Winners
- WordPress Plugin Competition 2005 Winners
- WordPress Plugin Competition Blog
- List of prizes from last year
We are looking for donations (via Paypal) towards the final purse for this years’ competition. WeblogToolsCollection pledges $1000 towards the final prizes.
We will not be removing the past entries from the Plugin Competition blog. Much of the rules and expectations remain the same. They are listed below. The plugins will be judged by a panel of at least three judges.
Some relevant details:
- All code must be GPL compatible
- All Plugin must be compatible with the latest official release available when the competition ends
- All Plugins have to be secure and use secure coding methods. This is very important.
- Plugins must be made available through the WordPress Extend pages
- Plugins must be officially submitted through email and announced and discussed on the Plugin Competition Blog. More details on submissions will be added in the last month of the competition. Release of plugin after competition start does not mean submission. You can submit your plugin way after its release to work out bugs etc.
- Running time for competition = 3 months starting the 1st of May till the 31st of July
- True WordPress plugins only. No manual modifications can be required of users. No editing of core files allowed.
- You cannot submit plugins that have been released already. Modification or re-use of existing code to achieve completely new functionality allowed.
- All plugins require documentation as in the WordPress Extend pages.
- Preliminary support for the plugin has to be provided to the public.
- Any and all prizes/controversies/issues will be judged and decided at my sole discretion.
- Past winners are not eligible for this competition.
Please let us know if we can help answer any questions or if you would like to donate some money to the competition prizes. Your help will go a long way.