What is WP Greet Box?
This plugin lets you show a different greeting message to your new visitors depending on their referrer URL.
For example, when a Digg user clicks through from Digg, they will see a message reminding them to digg your post if they like it. Another example, when a visitor clicks through from Twitter, they will see a message suggesting them to twit the post and follow you on Twitter. You can also set a default greeting message for new visitors (not matching any referrer URLs) suggesting them to subscribe to your RSS feed.
Having these targeted suggestions will help your blog increase exposure, loyal readership, and reader interaction.
- Show a different greeting message to your visitor depending on the referrer URL. You can add/edit/delete/disable these greeting messages as you choose.
- Greeting messages automatically get inserted into the top of your posts upon activation. There is no need to modify theme files.
- Ability to auto-insert greeting message to the top or bottom of the post.
- Greeting messages can be user closeable or not.
- Ability to detect the visitor’s search keywords from major search engines and automatically display related posts under the greeting message.
- Show a default greeting message even if the visitor does not match any of your configured referrer URL.
- AJAX greeting message in the frontend makes it compatible with caching plugins (such as WP Super Cache) and WPMU.
- AJAX administrative interface that uses nonce verification to discourage hackers.
- Ability to set a timeout to forget a visitor so we do not keep nagging them with greeting messages.
- Ability to set rules to exclude some referrer URLs from seeing greeting messages. Regular expressions is also supported (but not required!).
- Ultra customizable greeting message box (with CSS) allowing you to prefix/append HTML around the greeting message box.
- Currently the following referrers are installed by default, but you can easily create your own if your favorite referrer is not on the list!
WP Greet Box comes really feature packed as compared to Referrer Detector, possibly because WP Greet Box is more mature plugin as of this date.
Installation of plugin is extremely simple. You can download it from the WordPress Plugin Directory, unzip it to your host and activate the plugin. I chose to use the new Add New Plugin feature in WordPress 2.7 to install it on my blog Techtites from within WP-admin itself.
After activating the plugin, you can add / edit / delete referrers to your blog. The plugin comes inbuilt with several referrers including a default referrer who do not come from the fixed set of sites listed above. There are also a few referrers that are not activated by default, so you choose to activate those. I chose to stick with the default list.
It also has the ability to display related posts, though it displayed no related posts for a query that definitely had related posts.
The plugin has its documentation in place, however, it could do well with more detailed instructions. Also, the documentation is a readme.txt file at the plugin repository, which isn’t the most presentable layout.
I would also like to see Ajaxed tabs as was in the case of Referrer Detector, as it make updating across options extremely quick. The plugin already uses AJAX for editing / updating referrer details.
I believe the author has plans for the plugin, though it is currently kept a secret.
Are you currently using WP Greet Box? Since when have you been using the plugin? Has it helped increase visitor loyalty, number of hits? What additions would you like to see to the plugin features?