SimplePie Almost Dies

by

on
January 1st, 2008
in
WordPress Plugins

Geoffrey Sneddon, one of the developers behind the popular syndication plugin called SimplePie has announced that he will be discontinuing his role as an active developer. In a blog post published on the official SimplePie dev blog , Geoffrey explains why it’s time for him to move on. Schoolwork, lack of available time for the project and what free time he has is spent on the HTML 5 specification and Tolerant HTTP Parsing specification. However, a couple of the modules that deal with the SimplePie API will be maintained.

Despite Geoffrey leaving his development duties, he has left himself open to take more of a consulting role with the 1.x SP code base.

The good news? Ryan, the other developer for SimplePie has responded by stating:

1) SimplePie is NOT stopping development. I have big plans for where I want to take SimplePie, and those can’t happen if SimplePie is dead. In posts over the past few months, I’ve talked about where I want SimplePie to go, and that is still the plan, although it may take a little longer.

2) Over the past 3.5 years, SimplePie and it’s community have grown larger than Geoffrey and I could properly handle. It’s certainly larger than I alone can handle. Geoffrey and I will be looking for people in the SimplePie community to get involved with development, support, and other various aspects of the project.

3) I’m expecting to release SimplePie 1.1 in a matter of days. We also have a MySQL-capable branch that was likely to be 1.2, and will now definitely be 1.2. SimplePie 1.5/2.0 are no longer on any kind of timeline, as we need to get new people involved and up to speed first before we really plan those releases out.

As soon Geoffrey and I have time to work out more of the details, we’ll be sure to let you know.

I currently use the SimplePie Plugin for WordPress which provides WordPress bloggers the ability to syndicate RSS and Atom feeds to your blog. It works wonderfully well and is the plugin that powers my link blog. I really hope development continues for SimplePie as it would be a real downer if the project were to disappear.

Do you use SimplePie? If so, be sure to let me know your thoughts on the plugin.

Comments

1. Geoffrey Sneddon (1 comments.) says:

Couple of minor inaccuracies (or just incorrect implications):
    HTML 5 specification and Tolerant HTTP Parsing specification (on a totally unrelated note, why isn’t |ins| allowed in comments?).
    Consulting role goes outwith the SP 1.x codebase

Apart from that, I will continue on as an inactive developer (which I really have been for several months already), occasionally making odd commits, which are mainly bugfixes (but don’t be surprised if that goes to the extreme of me writing the core of SP2).

Also of note is the fact that the timeline for anything beyond SP 1.2 was always very vague (though if we take the original timeline literally, SP 1.2 should be out any day: we’re a whole release behind — though a lot of SP 1.2 is already done in a branch).

2. Nick Georgakis (3 comments.) says:

Many projects have passes similar “community crises” in the past and got victoriously through them.
    I also have used SimplePie for syndication roles and believe they will find a successful balance after some time…

3. Bollywood (1 comments.) says:

Hmm, sad to hear that. I dont use simplepie.. but as mentioned by Nick, everything has a cycle..

4. Rob Safuto (1 comments.) says:

I just starting using the SimplePie plugin to power a lifestream on my blog. It works great and when I originally saw that post a few days ago I was worried things wouldn’t progress. I’m glad to hear that Ryan is running with it.

5. Ignacio Tike (1 comments.) says:

I made a Popurls.com clone using Simplepie as its backend. That script is simply amazing, it’d be very bad such a good product is discontinued.

6. bubazoo (213 comments.) says:

was gonna say, I don’t like it when plugin authors stop developing their plugins. I immediately stop using those plugins, because I don’t like my blog to not be future proof.

I’ve been using the KQF RSS Feed Reader plugin for WordPress, and I’ve never cared much for it, I don’t like how it modifies my admin dashboard, so I may give SimplePie a try. If it does the same thing, I’ll just use that one instead.

7. Erik Pöhler (5 comments.) says:

I recently started coding a WordPress-Plugin that heavily uses SimplePie, which i chose over the integrated MagPie as it brings broader support for different formats, eg: rdf as delicious provides. It’s definetely a great tool!
    BTW: you can take a look at the plugin beta here ;) http://code.google.com/p/wp-rss-combiner/

8. Jeffro2pt0 (164 comments.) says:

Hey Rob, are you sure your not confusing SimplePie with SimplLife? http://kierandelaney.net/blog/projects/simplelife/

9. Binh Nguyen (12 comments.) says:

SimplePie? I never heard or used it. Does it worth a try?

10. Ryan Parman (1 comments.) says:

Yeah, I really can’t overstate how inaccurate this post title is. Geoffrey and I have different roles in the project — both of which are critical to it’s continued success. Geoffrey has some large shoes to fill, but as I stated earlier, we’re going to be working with the community to find a new lead developer.

11. Jeffro2pt0 (164 comments.) says:

Ok guess I should explain myself here. I used this title for this post because as I understood it, SimplePie was being worked on by two active developers. One of those developers has decided to step down from playing a major role in the development. However, the other major developer has decided to look towards the community to save the project. So in essence, SimplePie almost died

12. jimw (1 comments.) says:

I just started using SimplePie on a new site I built for SustainableDelco. It was the easiest way for me to add some feeds to the web site. I’m happy to see that it still has a life.

13. Andreas Gohr (1 comments.) says:

I use and love the SimplePie library. I use it in the DokuWiki engine. What I fear most is that instead of dieing SimplePie will drown in unnecessary features. All I expect from it is to be the best feed parsing library – everything else is superfluous to me. I’m not sure what I should think about a “MySQL-capable branch”.

14. Christian Web 2.0 (1 comments.) says:

Hi Jeffro – Yeah, I use Simplepie, and have found it to be a fantastic bit of software that has really helped me learn a bit about PHP. I was worried when Geoffrey said he was stepping down as well, but it seems like Ryan is the glue that has held everything together for quite a while – at least he’s the public face of the plugin. I’ve used Simplepie on a popurls clone called Faith2.com, and am integrating it into other sites as well. Here’s hoping it makes version 2!

15. Herbert Malzahn says:

I think most of users of SP haven`t any problem to pay a few Bucks for the Developer. So he can enjoy as the users too.

16. jasir javaz (1 comments.) says:

I installed in my wordpress site http://www.enewsz.com . But not working. I installed the two plugins Simplepie Core and Simplepie for WP. But still not working my site. Is there any code to paste in my sites page or post like other wordpress plugins? Pls explain me. I like this plugin to much. I saw the demo from simplepie.org. Thats really rocking