Well, that is Happy New Year in Bengali. So we wish all our readers a Happy and Prosperous New Year!
Our little blog grew slowly but steadily in the last year and our editors, authors and well wishers have made it possible for us to not only provide you with the most useful and up to date WordPress news, but we have been able to organize and support our Annual WordPress Plugin Competition, have been able to visit a couple of WordCamps around the US and have started a couple of new services around WordPress. If you want to know what the team is up to, be sure to check out the Weblog Tools Collection Crew LifeStream.
As always, we have been trying to improve our content, add more features and services, be good citizens of the WordPress world, all the while trying to increase our readership and our distribution.
- We have brought back the Spanish Version of this blog. It was originally started as a small side project along with a German version but we found it difficult to find human translators for them. This new version is translated by a paid translation service called ICanLocalize and is using their custom designed WordPress plugin which we helped test and implement. I have to say that after having had such a hard time with translators in the past, I was very apprehensive of any such relationship. But Amir Helzer and his team of translators have not only been helpful, but they have shown dedication and care that is rare in this world of online business. The service is completely automatic and both comments and posts are automagically submitted for human translation through the plugin. Though the service is not cheap, it gives our blog a nice edge. So if you would like to read this blog in Spanish, please head over to WeblogToolsCollection Español and subscribe.
- We have made some changes to the advertiser requirements on this blog, much of which drastically reduces our revenue. We now require that all our advertisers who want to promote WordPress plugins and themes, release their themes and plugins under the GPL or a GPL compatible license to be eligible to advertise on Weblog Tools Collection and related properties. Existing ads will be forced to expire and will not be renewed. We will also not link to any work from Premium Theme and Plugin authors that do not release their themes and/or plugins under a GPL or compatible license.
- Jeff Chandler has restarted his WordPress Weekly podcast under the auspices of Weblog Tools Collection and judging from the download numbers and the listener particpation numbers, it has been a resounding success. You can subscribe to WordPress Weekly via iTunes. Jeff has had put together some fantastic shows for us already and we are excited to see what the new year holds in store.
- Ajay is re-starting his “A Plugin A Day” or APAD WordPress Plugin Reviews which is always a lot of fun and is received well by our readers. We have received hundreds of applications to be considered for APAD and will be starting to publish them very soon.
- We will hold another WordPress Plugin Competition this year. But in addition to the Plugin Competition, if advertising picks up, we would also like to start a Weblog Tools Collection College Scholarship to promote WordPress development and help students dip their toe in WordPress. Stay tuned for further details.
For all of us here at Weblog Tools Collection, our little endeavor is a painstaking labor of love. We love the attention but also love to receive feedback. To all of you who have sent us your comments and suggestions, we say thank you. We have paid close attention to all the suggestions and have tried to incorporate them into our world as best we can.
We would also like to say thanks to our readers for making us your Number One source for WordPress and blogging news and to the WordPress team for producing this fantastic tool for us to use and enjoy.
We raise our imaginary glasses in a toast to another great year of blogging with WordPress.