New referrals for Google Pack and Picasa

by

on
May 5th, 2006
in
Blogging News

New referrals for Google Pack and Picasa you can now refer your users to Google Pack and Picasa. You’ll earn up to $2 for each time a user installs Pack and up to $1 for each Picasa install. Google really wants to get into your computer. I have not installed Google Pack (and do not intend to do so) but for those without virus protection, Google does seem to offer a 6 month subscription to Norton Antivirus 2005. Are you installing Google Pack?

Comments

1. BillyG (6 comments.) says:

I haven’t checked back on GPack since the day it released but I either already had everything in it or didn’t need the rest. Oh yeah, Norton is the plague.

2. Chris Meller (10 comments.) says:

Same for me. The few things I could actually use I already had (Firefox, Ad-Aware (or similar), Adobe Reader, Antivirus), and the rest is utter crap I’d never use: All the Google crap (Earth, Picassa, Screensaver, IE Toolbar, Desktop) and Talk, RealPlayer, Google Player… It’s just a waste of time and bandwidth.

It still amazes me that Google will develop a software package that integrates all their crap, but they won’t design a webpage that actually lists it all… Labs is a start, but there’s tons of stuff they offer that’s not listed on it either. Go figure…

3. Amit Gupta (10 comments.) says:

I’ve been already using some of the stuff that the Google Pack has(bid adieu to Adobe Reader for Foxit’s speed) and the rest of the stuff I don’t need. So I’m another one who won’t install GPack!! ;)

4. tom says:

Well, I have installed google pack, its fairly good and the checks for how up-to-date your software is is nice, but as all the software in there has its own auto-update stuff (the improtant ones anyway) it just seems like an attempt to be like downlodes.com “googles recomendations”.

5. Ajay (39 comments.) says:

Don’t really see the sense in Google Pack, I just pick up what I want individually. Google takes a lot of software of other users and are packaging it.

The only Google software I actually use is the toolbar.

6. Matt Biscay (13 comments.) says:

Nope, it will never make it on my machines.

7. Amit Gupta (10 comments.) says:

Ajay, the thing is that the geeks know & have all of the contents of Google Pack anyways, but what I think is the aim of software is to allow non geek & non savvy users to have the basic tools for their PCs without having to search for them.

Or you can say that its their lame attempt to increase their popularity & make people use what they promote!! ;)

8. drmike (10 comments.) says:

Gotta like the Firfox one though since we keep pushing anything but IE around here. :)

9. Ken (it's free software) (1 comments.) says:

I do install the Gpack on new PCs that I build for others because it brings the nifty Gearth, secure FF browser, super neat and shiny Picasa+Hello, and essential RealPlayer and Adobe Reader in just a few clicks.

I typically decline Gdesktop due to ongoing privacy concerns and only install Norton on request. Otherwise, McAfee or Avast depending on cost factor.

I also install Trillian; FF extensions: IEtab, Adblock/filterset.g; remote client, and Blue Frog – until now :(

Does these make sense?