Akismet Is That Much Prettier

by

on
January 19th, 2011
in
WordPress Plugins

When Akismet 2.5.2 was released, Joseph Scott mentioned that the team was working on something special that had not been changed since 2008. Yesterday, the Akismet team announced that the previous method of using Flash to generate the charts has disappeared. Instead, the graphs are now generated by something called flot.js which is an open source chart library built on jQuery.

New Graphs In Akismet

Using Flot.js gives the team more flexibility in determining how stats are displayed. The stats page also loads faster but the biggest improvement this new approach has is that any device that supports Javascript will be able to view the graphs.

Comments

1. Sahas Katta (6 comments.) says:

Looks great and loads way faster. Even though my Android phone had Flash, this works a lot better.

But just wondering why it loads the page in an iFrame. It would be cool if it were native.

2. Albert Lim (1 comments.) says:

Finally Akisment have did something to improve their plugin. Although Akismet has been an awesome plugin in filtering bad comments in the past, I would say that the charts loads way too slow. Great job in working on it.

3. Chip Bennett (63 comments.) says:

How about using the same charting script for the WordPress Stats Plugin?

• XIII (9 comments.) says:

That was my first thought as well. Yes please!

• James Huff (184 comments.) says:

The same charts are already in play for stats on WordPress.com blogs. They’ll be added to the plugin shortly, but there are just a few more things that need to be put in place first.

4. Anthony (1 comments.) says:

I have just started to use this program, and I have not yet graduated to a level where aesthetics are that important. I’m still stuck at functionality, I’m afraid. So although this is not big news for me, I appreciate the fact that akismet is simply available to me. Thanks for the ‘heads up’.

5. Nicholas Teo@Feng Shui since 1988 (37 comments.) says:

I have upgraded and it look very nice