Moving to WordPress is a really good decision you have already made, however have you made sure to change all the settings for your installation? The WordPress Codex document on Installing WordPress is something you should refer to prior to installation, but there are things you need to do after installing WordPress.
Here is a checklist that you can fallback on whenever you install WordPress for the first time or for that matter on a newer blog, the list is not exhaustive, so please feel free to contribute and add things that I may have missed out on.
- WordPress Tips + Things You Can Do After Installing WordPress – Digital Inspiration
- 10 Things To Do After Installing WordPress – Pro Blog Design
- 15 Must Do Tweaks After a WordPress Installation – Techie Buzz (disclaimer: this is my personal blog)
- 10 Things To Do After Installing WordPress – Blogsolute
These are just a few links, however they will go a long way to help you optimize your WordPress setup from day 1, you can also test out these changes on a local installation before you move out to a real blog, here is some help to get WordPress setup on a local environment before you decide to move it to your blog.
What else Help? You can find appropriate help when you face problems or require help with getting started with WordPress.
- Getting Started with WordPress – WordPress Codex
- WordPress Forums – Please search first, you will find fixes to tons of problems, before you create a new forum post.
And this is not the entire list to fall back on, there are really tons of great resources on the Internet that will help you get started, need help with anything, just ask and more than 1 person will be willing to help you.