Upgrade WordPress via Shell

by

on
March 3rd, 2007
in
HOW-TO, LinkyLoo, WordPress, WordPress FAQs

Upgrade WordPress via Shell guides you to upgrading your existing WordPress installation to the latest one if you have shell access to your hosting account.
And if you haven’t upgraded to 2.1.2 yet, then please do so immediately to ensure that your WordPress 2.1 installation doesn’t get compromised.

Comments

1. Johan (3 comments.) says:

My webhost offers Installatron, this enables me to upgrade my WordPress install with just one click. Now that is what I call easy :)

2. Ajay (209 comments.) says:

Is the WordPress and other software versions upgraded the moment a new update is made available?

3. Jonathan (81 comments.) says:

Good question, Ajay. That’s exactly what I wanted to know. My sister is changing hosts and the one she’s considering has a similar one-click install, but I’m afraid to use it. I seriously hope she has shell access on that host; I’ll svn it for her and be done.

4. Ajay (209 comments.) says:

Like you, I prefer doing all the installations myself. I prefer the control I have when I do it manually over the ease of a one-click install.

5. Jeremy (5 comments.) says:

You mean cracked, not hacked

6. Ajay (209 comments.) says:

I’ve changed it to a more neutral “compromised”

7. Jonathan (81 comments.) says:

A lot of people have been getting pissy about the terminology used today. I have to admit, I was one of them at first, but it’s really not that important if you think about it. The main thing is just update, already.

8. Nikolai Sisoev (1 comments.) says:

Wouldn’t it be much easier if WordPress have three types of packages:
    security update
    core upgrade
    fresh install

I don’t know how many files were affected in this case, but if we had only the changed files and the upgrade.php it would be much easier -> upload the files (let say 200KB) -> run upgrade.php -> DONE.

9. Johan (3 comments.) says:

@ Ajay: My installatron install is WordPress 2.12, so I guess that means it is updated very frequently.

10. Ajay (209 comments.) says:

That is a good thing Johan…