I wrote Pictorialis because I had a need. I never quite realized just how popular or how important it would become. Is there really a lot of interest in this product? Should I consider versions and upgrades and actually following the support fora?
I am afraid that if I dedicate all my time to Pictorialis, everything else will get sidelined (which is fine if there is a need).
Here are my future plans for Pictorialis and the support offerings for it.
- Once WordPress 1.3 is released, move over the existing code to the new version
- Seperate “PhotoBlog” and “PhotoAlbum” as two seperate versions of the same Pictorialis. I believe that if they overlap, usability and technical granularity suffers
- Try to obtain a list of defects with present versions (not bugs, but defects in the methodology) and then incorporate them in the new version
- In the “PhotoAlbum” version, add more album-like features such as slideshows and ability to modify each photograph
- In the “Photoblog” version, provide more control over the archives and the resizing of the pictures
- In ALL versions, store pictures as meta rather than the post. Leave the post for users to monkey with
- Spend more time beta testing and listening to users.
- Start a Subversion respoitory. The code is really fragmented right now.
- Use more of the features from ImageMagick. Cool image manipulation features on a photo album = golden
- Consider this to be the primary project while in development stages
- Ask more people for help.
I apologize for the present lack of support for existing versions of the product. I appreciate any and all users who help out on the message boards. I am learning from the present problems to prevent them in future versions. I promise to try and make the install and the setup as easy as possible with the least expertise needed for a successful photoblogging/album software.
If anyone is interested in the development of this product or would like to offer criticism/suggestions, please leave a comment. If you are interested in becoming a developer, message me at mark at wltc dot net. I am looking for coders in PHP, with some experience in image manipulation and other web multimedia technologies.