'Exhibit' marks a new era in Web publishing and the visualization and presentation of structured data. Just released from MIT's Simile project (http://simile.mit.edu/), Exhibit is quite simply â€œstructure for the masses.â€
Exhibit requires no traditional database technology, no server-side code, and no need for a web server. Here is a sampling of Exhibitâ€™s current capabilities:
* Direct updates and presentations (mashups) from Google spreadsheets
* Easily embedded in WordPress blogs (see http://www.mkbergman.com/?p=326)
* No external databases or hassles
* Data filtering and sorting
* Simple HTML embeds and calls
* Automatic and dynamic page layouts and results rendering
* Pre-prepared timelines, map mashups, tabular display options, and Web page formatting.
Exhibit is as simple as defining a spreadsheet; after that you have a complete database! And, if you want to get wild and crazy with presentation and display, then that is easy as well!
Exhibit is a seminal new development on the Web. For more background see the MIT Web site or http://www.mkbergman.com/?p=328.