The highly anticipated, multi-authored book entitled Professional WordPress Plugin Development is now available for pre-order from Amazon. The book which is written by Brad Williams, Justin Tadlock and Ozh Richard covers everything you’d need to know to build an awesome plugin. Here is just a sampling as to what is covered:
- Plugin Foundation: Starting off on the right foot.
- Hooks: The backbone of the plugin system.
- WP Integration: Widgets, meta boxes, etc.
- Internationalization: Readying your plugin for translation.
- Security: Lock down your plugin from attacks and hacks.
- Settings: How to create and use plugin settings.
- Users: Working with users, roles, and capabilities.
- HTTP API: Doing cool stuff like Google Maps integration.
- Shortcodes: Making users’ lives easier with simple-to-use shortcodes.
- Rewrite API: Bending rewrite rules to your will.
- Debugging: How to debug and optimize your code.
The book weighs in at over 500 pages with over 80 example plugins to learn from. The official release date is scheduled for March 22, 2011 but you’ll save a handful of cash considering the original price is $44.99 but the pre-order discount will allow you to purchase the book for $28.69. Considering that Justin Tadlock, Brad Williams and Ozh Richard of PlanetOzh.com have all done a stellar job as individuals educating the WordPress community, this book should become a staple in the hands of any developer working with WordPress.