This release candidate, accoring to Dean, is mostly a fix for the backend of things with a few interface tweaks. Look through the complete list of changes in that forum topic above.
Changes worthy of note include:
- Security and authentication fixes
- New (different) method of installing plugins
- Less tables, more “webstandardsy”
- Default pinger now Ping-O-Matic
Changes not done yet, but in another RC or two:
- Theme installation engine
- Metaweblog xml support
- Batch image uploads to directly create galleries
For Upgraders, dean suggests
To upgrade from previous versions, BACK UP YOUR CURRENT INSTALL and simply copy everything in the distroâ€™s /textpattern/ directory into your existing /textpattern/ directory. You will need to re-enter anything youâ€™ve set in /lib/admin_config.php â€“ this nasty step should be eliminated next release.
Do not run _update.php! It gets run automatically when needed. Forget about it entirely!